Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Language Learning Series #4: Flashcards

Using flashcards as a means to memorize vocabulary is a common method used by language students worldwide.  In this article, you will learn tips on how to set up, organize, and use your flashcard decks:
  • In my experience, the best resource for flashcard construction are 3x5 inch index cards due to their durability and size, for when using smaller sized cards or regular paper, I found it difficult to keep my decks undamaged, while the smaller space made it difficult to write longer words legibly. 
  • When organizing flashcards, using different colored markers to differentiate between the parts of speech, (i.e. nouns, adjectives, verbs, etc.,) makes learning and organizing words easier.  Moreover, marking each card to a particular set, (I add an abbreviated title in the upper right corner of my cards,) makes it easier to sort large numbers of cards.
  • Flashcards primarily utilize the visual learning method; that is, when a student sees a card, he must associate the meaning of a foreign word through recognition of its written form.  To enhance the learning process, I recommend saying the word out loud, (or silently if in public).  In this manner, the auditory learning system is activation as well.
  • Flashcards are useless when left alone.  My rule of thumb is to carry a set with me at all times, focusing on ten to fifteen words; this way, I should have at the least a fair knowledge of the words by the day’s end.  On the following day, I then test myself to see if I recall the word’s meanings, and those I don’t remember I continue to carry in my “daily deck”.

No comments:

Post a Comment