Monday, June 22, 2015

Language Learning App Review: Quizlet

Being a fan of the flashcard method, I am a huge supporter of flashcard software and applications.  My most favorite to use on my iPhone is Quizlet: a well designed app backed by a sizable community.

Quizlet enables users to not only create decks, but also draw from the large selection of user made decks online.  Decks are sorted in two ways: in collections and through classes.  While collections are organized by the individual, classes can collect sets of vocabulary drawn from a single text.  I was amused to find my old Latin textbook, Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, well supplemented by an array of vocabulary decks dedicated to each chapter.

While using Quizlet, one may study in a variety of ways.  First, one may simply scroll the deck.  This method is beneficial since it enables one to utilize Quizlet’s  pronunciation tool, a crude yet invaluable aid for difficult words that don’t sound the way they are spelled.  Second, one may view each word in a more traditional manner, flipping each virtual card to view both the word and its English equivalent.  Third, the user may quiz oneself by typing in the definition of each word, rather than be provided with an answer.  Finally, Quizlet provides a timed “mix and match” game, perfect for building quick recognition of foreign words.

Personally, I find the simplicity of Quizlet appealing, while its four studying options are a nice plus to an already well designed system.  Moreover, I must also applaud Quizlet’s support staff; in the past I requested more accessibility to organize decks via one’s mobile device, (in the past, one could only organize collections on one’s computer).  Their support staff was quick to respond informed me that an update including such features was in the works.  In a few weeks, my app was updated, and I was pleased to find the accessibility of Quizlet matching my expectations.


In the end, Quizlet serves as an excellent application for language learners who seek to supplement their studies on their cellular device.  The app itself is available to both on the Apple and Android devices, and its website may be viewed at www.quizlet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment